2.09.2009

A Harsh Wind

I am in a bad state.

I was in a bookstore tonight browsing and I couldn't find anything. Nothing in an entire store. I found myself standing in front of the Anthropology/Archaeology section and I just started crying. I scanned the title of each book until my eyes started to drown and couldn't focus. I tried to move away. There's a truth there I'm just not ready to face.

A few minutes later I was standing before a shelf of fiction, the K authors. I let my eyes roam around and they landed on The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. The tears came again. I once read a Kafka anthology and there was one story, I can't recall the title, but he wrote that story in one night. One night. I will never in my life be able to accomplish what one man could in one single evening.

I know it's pretentious to compare oneself to a literary master. I know that I will have time to figure it all out but I can't help but feel like a complete and total failure. What have I done with my life? Nothing that I can think of. I am the same person I was in high school. I am doing the same things and having the same conversations I was four years ago. The strides I have made since then are insignificant. I look at what I could potentially be doing and I am terrified. I am terrified that in four more years, I will be doing the exact same thing I'm doing now. I'm scared shitless that I am going to settle because it's comfortable and I'm too scared of change. I am fucking horrified that I am nothing but mediocre. I'm scared that I'm a bad writer, a bad friend, a bad sister, a bad employee, a bad daughter, a bad student and one royal fuck-up of a person in general.

I don't know where to go for answers. I don't even know that there are answers. I don't know how on earth I'm supposed to grow up and have a future when I'm not even sure what to make of my past. I don't know what it takes to be a successful, happy person. Can someone be happy? Or is it this constant cycle of wondering if you're good enough? Neither answer will make me feel better.

Fuck growing pains. Seriously.

No comments: